Whitevale's first architect, Mother Nature, must have been a golfer when she decided to melt a massive glacier that created the Oak Ridges Moraine, a dynamic landform with undulating topography, an abundant aquifer, and a diversity of vegetation that includes rare and endangered species. On this natural canvas, Jack Boyes, fulfilled a lifelong dream of designing and building his own golf course (with some help from an old friend and accomplished golf architect Bill Diddel).
Jack's vision included three tenets that continue to characterize Whitevale Golf Club today: a high-quality golf experience, genuine hospitality and friendships, and a place where members have a financial stake and a say in the future of the Club.
In 1955, Jack Boyes purchased the property for $25,000 from the Seebeck family, who had farmed the land for over 100 years. The original farmhouse was incorporated into the clubhouse, the farm's driving shed served as pro shop and its foundation can still be seen adjacent to the first tee.The Beatty Pump windmill was restored and remains a fixture of the Club today.
On June 14th, 1958, the first game of golf was played, and soon after, 140 members incorporated Whitevale Golf Club as a private golf club. Being new afforded Jack the opportunity to be progressive, and Whitevale quickly became known as an inclusive private golf club that was particularly supportive of women and juniors, with no ethnic or religious boundaries, just a common love of golf. Jack and Winnie Boyes, along with daughter Carol and Greens Superintendent Ab Reeves, ran the Club until 1970. Gus Maue was Whitevale's first Head Golf Professional.
In 1974, the Provincial Government expropriated the property for a planned city, Cedarwood, which would neighbour the proposed North Pickering Airport. The airport properties were held in abeyance for a number of years by the Federal government, and so from 1974 to 1999 Whitevale members leased the Club from the Province.
Becoming An Equity Club
Late in 1996, the members were presented with the opportunity to purchase the lands from the Provincial Government. Over the next three years, Club Presidents Barbara Rogers and John Trimble spearheaded the sensitive negotiations and lengthy process, which was finalized on September 30, 1999. The purchase of the lands is a great source of pride for members, making Whitevale one of the very few private equity membership clubs in Ontario.
In June 2004, the members voted in favour to fund a golf course renovation by renowned Canadian golf architect Thomas McBroom. By 2006, McBroom completed his extensive redesign of the golf course giving Whitevale a contemporary golfing challenge and aesthetic underpinned by its original style and natural beauty.
A New Clubhouse
In December 2012, over 90% of the membership voted in favour of a revitalization plan for the north lands of the property including a new clubhouse and world-class practice facility, a project that was completed by the spring of 2015 exceeding all members expectations.
An Auspicious Future
Looking ahead, the Region of Durham and the Town of Pickering are moving forward with highway extensions and infrastructure to accommodate the significant housing development of Seaton to the north. While the ramifications of these developments are not yet clear, Whitevale is extremely optimistic about the infusion of infrastructure and potential future members. However, no matter how ambitious the development, the sanctitude of the golf course is protected by TRCA conservation lands to our east, west and south.